Wednesday, March 16, 2016

St. Patrick's Day Sensory Bin


This day, St. Patrick's Day, it's a very special day around here. It's actually my birthday! Every year, there's a celebration on the day I was born. I'm a pretty lucky gal considering, I love Irish food, I'm part Irish, I love rainbows, lucky charms are pretty great, the color green is fantastic and I've found 2 four leaf clovers in my life.

Well I don't have huge plans for my big ol' 35th birthday but I think we're going to get donuts for breakfast (bad) and pizza for dinner (really bad, but hey, you're only 35 once!). Probably play with our awesome new sensory bin, take some silly St.Patrick's Day photos, eat something green that really shouldn't be...I'm thinking scrambled eggs or mac & cheese?? And that's probably about it. Nothing over the top, just low key and relaxed. But I'm always up for anything so we'll see what the day brings.

Speaking of this awesome sensory bin, it's actually the greatest! The most fun sensory bin to date. And really, super duper easy. I just bought 3 big bags of navy beans, used 5 different food colors (don't use the gel, it's too sticky & never really dried), pot with gold coins, green beads, tongs, a leprechaun hat and some coordinating caps from some fruit pouches. All you need to do is divide up the beans, add about 8-10 drops of food coloring into a plastic ziploc or container & shake for about a minute or longer. Set out on paper towels to dry (I let mine dry over night) and add some fun stuff & voila, instant fun!

I highly recommend this sensory activity - it's easy to assemble/make, it's easy to clean-up, it's colorful, can be used in many different ways (I'm thinking pretend jelly beans for an Easter sensory), and if kept dry, it can last for months, oh and it's super cheap. If you can, just do it! Your kids will appreciate it.

PS- I wouldn't recommend for anyone younger than 2.5 or - they do look awfully tasty! But get creative, I just dumped a bunch of our pouch lids & some of the shiny green beads into a bin for Amelia and she had a blast!








No comments:

Post a Comment

d
Images by Freepik